Valpo center Derrik Smits joins Butler as graduate transfer
- Florida lands ex-Cleveland St. G Appleby
- Michigan adds Smith to Howard's staff
- Kentucky AD named NCAA men's hoops chair
- Cleveland St. fires Felton after 2 years
- UNC returning for 1 game at Carmichael
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) Former Valparaiso center Derrik Smits will play his final college basketball season at Butler.
The 7-foot-1 center will be eligible immediately. Smits averaged 12.2 points and 5.7 rebounds last season with the Crusaders and shot 56 percent in three seasons - the third-highest mark in school history.
Smits was a high school star at Zionsville in suburban Indianapolis and is the son of former NBA All-Star Rik Smits.
Coach LaVall Jordan calls the younger Smits a "high-character" guy. He will also help replace backup center Joey Brunk, who announced in April that he was transferring to Indiana.
More AP college basketball: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and https://twitter.com/AP-Top25
Updated May 6, 2019