Valpo center Derrik Smits joins Butler as graduate transfer
- Winston, Howard top AP All-America team
- Spartans preseason No. 1 for first time
- Wrist shelves Michigan's Wagner 4-6 wks.
- KU, Missouri to resume rivalry in 2020
- Temple ready for new era under McKie
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) Former Valparaiso center Derrik Smits will play his final college basketball season at Butler.
The 7-foot-1 center will be eligible immediately. Smits averaged 12.2 points and 5.7 rebounds last season with the Crusaders and shot 56 percent in three seasons - the third-highest mark in school history.
Smits was a high school star at Zionsville in suburban Indianapolis and is the son of former NBA All-Star Rik Smits.
Coach LaVall Jordan calls the younger Smits a "high-character" guy. He will also help replace backup center Joey Brunk, who announced in April that he was transferring to Indiana.
More AP college basketball: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and https://twitter.com/AP-Top25
Updated May 6, 2019