Elon fires men's hoops coach Matt Matheny after 10 seasons
- Kansas picked first in Big 12 poll
- Duke-Kansas opener highlights MSG games
- Gophers' Curry not fretting over injury
- Howard talks up Michigan at media day
- UK favorite in SEC for ninth year in row
ELON, N.C. (AP) Elon has fired coach Matt Matheny after the Phoenix's second straight losing season.
Athletic director Dave Blank announced the move Monday, saying a "new direction at this time is necessary to move our program forward."
Matheny was 151-169 in 10 years at the school and led the Phoenix to the only postseason appearance in school history, a berth in the 2013 Collegeinsider.com Tournament.
Elon went 11-21 this season and 7-11 in Colonial Athletic Association play. The Phoenix have finished under. 500 in four of their five seasons in the CAA after leaving the Southern Conference in 2014.
More AP college basketball: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://www.twitter.com/AP-Top25
Updated March 18, 2019