Jackson with 22 points leads Akron past N. Illinois 67-65
- Duke up to No. 1, Kentucky drops to 9th
- No. 9 Kentucky struggles by Utah Valley
- Winston speaks after No. 3 Spartans roll
- No. 10 Buckeyes start fast, rout Stetson
- Doughty, Wiley move No. 19 Auburn to 5-0
AKRON, Ohio (AP) Loren Cristian Jackson scored 22 points as Akron rallied in the second half to edge Northern Illinois 67-65 on Saturday night.
Jackson was 9 of 11 from the free throw line for the Zips (12-8, 4-3 Mid-American Conference), who have won three of the last four. Daniel Utomi added 14 points and Jimond Ivey had 11 points and eight rebounds.
Akron trailed 28-24 at the break but rallied early in the second half, using a 22-7 surge featuring 3-pointers by Ivey, Utomi, Jackson and Channel Banks to take a 46-35 lead with 9:34 to play. The Zips led the rest of the way, though Northern Illinois cut it to 65-64 with five seconds left before a pair of Jackson free throws sealed the win.
Updated January 26, 2019