Jackson with 22 points leads Akron past N. Illinois 67-65
- Top hoops prospect picks HBCU Howard
- UCLA AD Jarmond faces many challenges
- Third party to hear Kansas hoops case
- Sankey: Uniform federal NIL law needed
- Sooners cut $13.7M from athletics budget
AKRON, Ohio (AP) Loren Cristian Jackson scored 22 points as Akron rallied in the second half to edge Northern Illinois 67-65 on Saturday night.
Jackson was 9 of 11 from the free throw line for the Zips (12-8, 4-3 Mid-American Conference), who have won three of the last four. Daniel Utomi added 14 points and Jimond Ivey had 11 points and eight rebounds.
Akron trailed 28-24 at the break but rallied early in the second half, using a 22-7 surge featuring 3-pointers by Ivey, Utomi, Jackson and Channel Banks to take a 46-35 lead with 9:34 to play. The Zips led the rest of the way, though Northern Illinois cut it to 65-64 with five seconds left before a pair of Jackson free throws sealed the win.
Updated January 26, 2019