Trey Murphy scores 18 points and Rice tops Middle Tennessee
- No. 4 SDSU gets by UNLV to move to 21-0
- Maryland ends on 7-0 run to edge Indiana
- Spartans cruise to easy win over Gophers
- No. 12 Oregon routs error-prone UCLA
- No. 25 Houston easily gets past USF
HOUSTON (AP) Trey Murphy III scored 18 points and the fourth of his four 3-pointers ignited a decisive run in Rice's 79-68 victory over Middle Tennessee on Thursday night.
The second half saw big go-ahead runs alternating among both teams, but Rice went on a 16-0 blitz to take command 70-55 with 3:34 remaining. Murphy's 3-pointer, his final points of the game, gave Rice the lead to begin the outburst.
Middle Tennessee led 34-30 at halftime and went up by eight early in the second half. After Rice rallied to go up by eight, Middle Tennessee went on its own run. The Blue Raiders took a 55-54 lead on a Scurry free throw with 7:50 left before Murphy's 3-pointer started Rice on the decisive run.
Updated January 24, 2019