Louisiana-Lafayette beats Virgin Islands 121-80 in opener
- No. 1 Gonzaga rallies to beat No. 11 WVU
- No. 2 Baylor surges past No. 5 Illinois
- Texas tops UNC, wins Maui on hoop at 0.1
- Illinois St. scores 177, 4th-most in D-I
- Missouri fends off No. 21 Oregon
LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) JaKeenan Gant and Malik Marquetti scored 19 points apiece to lead six Louisiana-Lafayette players in double figures and the Ragin' Cajuns beat Virgin Islands 121-80 Tuesday night.
Miller scored nine points in the first three-plus minutes and Gant's layup about a minute later gave Louisiana an 11-point lead. Virgin Islands trimmed its deficit to six, but Hayes made and layup and then hit back-to-back jumpers to spark an 11-0 run that made it 33-16 and the Buccaneers trailed by double figures the rest of the way.
Elijah Bush led Virgin Islands with 24 points and Harold Cardwell scored 22.
The Ragin' Cajuns shot 68 percent from the field, including 14 of 25 from 3-point range.
Updated November 7, 2018